Full and half-day kindergarten is offered. The half-day kindergarten begins the day at 7:40am with the rest of the school and dismisses at 11:10am. Some of the highlights of the year include an introduction to computer and library skills, a Thanksgiving Feast, a 100th Day of School celebration, and Pajama Day. Field trips include the pumpkin farm, the Marriott Theater, the fire station and Ela library.
The skills focused on throughout the year include:
- Learn and recite the opening prayer, grace before meals and the Our Father
- Develop Scripture awareness by hearing Bible stories and verses
- Demonstrate social skills such as taking turns, sharing, listening without interrupting, etc.
- Identify the seasons of the year, holidays and celebrations
- Develop an awareness and appreciation between God and His creation by learning the interdependence between people, animals and nature
- Make charts and graphs to record observations
- Handwriting – form upper and lower case and numbers using the Handwriting Without Tears program.
- Reading – identify rhyming words; identify initial and final consonant sounds and short and long vowel sounds; retell a story in sequence and draw pictures to show meaning
- Writing – write words, sentences and stories to express ideas and to reinforce reading and handwriting skills
- Classify groups by color, size and shape and recognize and continue a simple pattern
- Identify and write numbers to 30 and count and match objects to 20
- Identify 2D and 3D shapes
- Solve simple addition and subtraction problems using manipulatives
- Measuring – compare length, height and weight using non-standard units of measure
- Computers, the smart board, and iPad are integrated throughout the different subject area